5-day challenge – Day 4
DAY 4: DESIGN SPACE TOUR
New Project: This will open up your canvas and allow you to start designing.
Layers Panel: This shows you how your design is set up within Design Space.
- “Eyeballs”- allow you to hide/unhide layers.
- Group/Ungroup – groups things together on your canvas so you can move them around as one. Ungroup separates them.
- Duplicate – allows you to duplicate your selected design elements
- Delete – self-explanatory
Color Sync Panel: This allows you to sync colors to use fewer materials. Change colors by dragging and dropping as per instructions given in Design Space.
Below is the Layers Panel:
- Slice – Kind of like a cookie cutter where you can cut out certain parts of your design.
- Weld – Similar to Group and Attach, but really permanent!
- Attach – Similar to Group, but a little more permanent.
- Flatten – Used mainly for Print then Cut projects.
- Contour – Allows you to hide a portion of your design.
Across the Top of Your Canvas:
- Undo – Self-explanatory.
- Linetype – Where you can change the type of line in your design. For Cricut Maker, this includes: Cut, draw, score, engrave, deboss, wave, perforate. Options available will vary according to which machine you are using and have selected.
- Square – This is where you can change colors.
- Fill – This is a more advanced option not being covered here. It allows you to choose a color or pattern to fill your image layer when using Print then Cut.
- Select – Allows you to select/deselect everything on your canvas. We don’t really use this and tend to select by clicking and dragging.
- Edit – Another button we really don’t use much, but this is where you can choose common editing tools like copy and paste.
- Align – Enables you to line up items on your canvas (for example, center horizontally, center vertically, etc.) Within the Align function, is Distribute which allows you to distribute items on your canvas evenly.
- Flip – Allows you to flip your selected design element vertically or horizontally
- Size – Enter the numbers you want to change the size of your design. If locked and you change height, it will automatically change width in proportion to that. If unlocked, you can enter the exact numbers you want and it won’t maintain that proportion.
- Rotate – To rotate your image or text.
- Position – Using X,Y coordinates, you can position your designs on the axes. We don’t use this – it’s too much math for us!
Upper right corner:
- Make It button – You will select this when you are ready to send your design to your machine.
- Machine selection – Just to the left of the Make It button, this is where you can choose which machine you’re using.
- Save – For saving your projects.
- My Projects – Takes you to your saved projects.
Upper left corner:
Three bars to the left of the word “Canvas” – This opens a drop-down menu. This is where you can set up your machine, calibrate it, manage custom materials, and so on.
- New – Gives you a brand-new empty canvas.
- Templates – These will help you visualize designs on your canvas. Includes things like t-shirts, clipboards, and so on. We don’t really use these.
- Projects – These are Cricut’s projects.
- Images – Images available from Cricut can be searched here.
- Text – For adding text to your design.
- Shapes – Add a shape to your canvas. We often use these instead of templates to visualize our projects as we are working on the design. Also includes score lines. Note: to create a rectangle, use the square and unlock it. You can weld shapes together to make designs – for example, a simple house design.
- Upload – This is where you will upload your images and SVG cut files.
When you select Text, the Text Menu will pop up. Includes:
- Font selection – if you download fonts, for example from Makers Gonna Learn, you will find these under the System tab.
- Style – Bold, italics, etc.
- Size – We generally click and drag on our canvas rather than sizing our font on this menu.
- Letter spacing – This helps you adjust the spacing between letters. We use this a lot especially with cursive letters.
- Line spacing – For use when you have multiple lines of text and want to adjust the spacing between them.
- Alignment – Left, center, right alignment.
- Curve – For curving a line of text.
- Advanced – This is where you can do some ungrouping but we generally use the Ungroup feature on the layers panel for this.
More functions to be aware of:
- Delete – When you have a part of your design selected, you can delete by clicking the red arrow in the upper left corner of the design element, press your delete key on your computer keyboard, or use the delete button in the Layers Panel.
- Copy and paste – You can double click the selected design element and a drop-down menu will appear with those options on it. Or you can use duplicate on the Layers Panel.
- Size lock/unlock – This can be done on the top toolbar where the sizes are shown/changed or you can click the lock in the bottom left corner of your design element.
- Increase/decrease canvas size – In the bottom left corner where you see a percentage, you can change that to change your canvas size.
- Grid lines – If you click on the tiny little blank square in the upper left corner of your canvas, this is where you can turn grid lines on and off.