DIY Book Sling Tutorial
How cute is this DIY Book Sling? It’s a fun way to display your books and keep your favorite ones handy!
Just think how cute this would be in a kid’s bedroom, playroom, family room, or anywhere you’d like to keep reading material handy. We’re using one of our brand new fonts being released this week to create the text on this whimsical and fun craft project!
DIY Book Sling
MGL Font Used:
You can find the entire new font collection here.
- Cricut Maker
- Cricut StandardGrip Mat
- Our Favorite Burnishing Tool
- Measuring Tape
- Our Favorite Weeding Tool
- Lynn Lilly Hot Glue Gun
- 1” Dowel
- ½” Dowel
- Curtain Rod Holders
- Cricut Mini EasyPress
- Cricut EasyPress Mat
- Black Matte 12”x12” Sheet of HTV
- 12” x 24” StandardGrip Cricut Mats
- Self Healing Mat
- Rotary Cutter
- Acrylic Ruler
Find the full step-by-step video tutorial here:
- First, we measured our wall where we want our book sling and decided on 19”. Then we cut both of our dowels at 19”
- Cut the fabric to your desired length. For a 19” book sling we are cutting our fabric at 18” by 20”
- Now for the sides that are 18” long, we’re going to fold them half an inch on both sides. Use an iron or EasyPress if needed! Then we’re going to hot glue the seam to hem.
- We’re going to repeat the process on the other sides of the fabric, this time folding three inches. These will be pockets for our dowel rods, so be sure not to hot glue the entire fold together, and just the edges of the fold.
- At this time you can add your dowels into your fabric pockets to make sure everything fits well. Now add your hooks to the wall measuring to make sure they’re correctly spaced and add your dowel rods to it. At this point, you can measure the available space you have on the front of your book sling and add those dimensions in Design Space. Our space was 17” by 7”
- With your chosen font, write out your quote in Design Space. Make sure it looks good on your sized square. If it does, click “make it”. We’re using HTV so be sure to “mirror” your image and set it to the correct material setting.
- Allow the Cricut to cut your quote. Once cut and weeded you can remove your book sling from the wall and lay it on an EasyPress mat to adhere to your HTV.
- Position your quote and heat. Remove the transfer tape and add your book sling back to the wall. Fill with books and enjoy.
Isn’t this an amazing project? If you make one, be sure to share it in our private member-only Facebook group. We would love to see it!
Tanner, Courtney, and the rest of the Makers Gonna Learn Team are all here because we love die-cutting and especially love sharing fun projects and tutorials with fellow makers. We are all great friends and are always having a blast when we are together- you will see this on camera, especially during live streams! We are here to inspire and support you in your crafting journey!