This is such a beautiful home decor accent piece! Using simple supplies and a vinyl design as a stencil for etching, you can create a dimensional etched mirror with wood veneer edges and a special quote. It’s trendy and fun!
DIY Etched Mirror
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links provided for your convenience. This means, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Cricut Explore Air 2
- CricutEasyPress Mat 16’x20”
- 8” Mirror
- Leather Strip
- 8” Foam Circles
- Glue Gun
- Etching Cream
- Vinyl Gloves
- Jumbo Craft Sticks
- Cherry Wood Veneer
- White Matte 12”x12”
- The first thing you want to do is measure the circumference of the mirror for the wood veneer you’ll be using for the project. You’ll also need to measure the diameter of the mirror.
- In Design Space, grab a circle from Basic Shapes and size it up to the same diameter measurement as the mirror.
- Next, grab a square and size it up to 1”x10” then duplicate that. You now have 2 of them. Duplicate it one more time but size it down to 6 inches. These rectangles are for the wood veneer and are based on the circumference measurement you took. The lengths of them might vary according to the size of the mirror you are using. Our mirror has a circumference of 25 inches, so we cut pieces that equaled 26 inches. We wanted a bit of overlap to allow for any errors. This can just be trimmed off with scissors later.
- Grab a text from the text box and type in one of the words/symbols/numbers you want. Change this to the font you want to use. Repeat with each word, one by one. Select all of the text and size it to any size you want.
- It’s important to note that you can’t curve anything that is ungrouped. So, be sure to keep each of your words grouped (as they already are in their text boxes).
- Select one of the words and click the curve button. You can curve and turn them the way you want until you are satisfied. When you are done curving, select all of it and click Group so you can bring it over to the circle as one phrase and arrange it the way you want it. Finetune each word until you are satisfied with how it looks. Then, select all the text/words and click Attach.
- Now, you can go ahead and click Make It. There will be 3 different mats. When you select your materials, be sure that the circle and the veneer rectangles are set to Kraft Board.
- Put Kraft Board onto your cutting mat and load it into the machine to cut. Once it’s done cutting, you will need to go back into Design Space and change the material setting to vinyl for the text. Place the vinyl on the mat and load it into the machine to cut.
- Remove the vinyl from the machine once it’s cut and burnish it on the mat. Weed. Remember that since we’re using this as a stencil for our etching, you want to weed away the text, not the vinyl around the text. Be sure to leave the centers of the letters in place.
- Be sure to clean the mirror with some alcohol to remove all fingerprints, dust, and so on. Apply transfer tape to your vinyl text design and burnish. .
- Apply the vinyl to the mirror, positioning as you wish. We find it easiest to turn the mirror over and lay it down (upside down) onto the vinyl. Flip it right side up and burnish the vinyl to the mirror. Remove the transfer tape.
- Apply etching cream using the craft stick and let it sit for 20 – 30 minutes. After that, you can scrape the excess etching cream off and put it back in the bottle because you can use it again next time.
- Next, wash off the remaining etching cream from the mirror. Carefully peel off the vinyl and wash the mirror again.
- Take the wood veneer pieces from the mat. Apply the circle one to one side of your foam circle using hot glue. Next, apply rectangular pieces around the edges and secure them using hot glue.
- Next, cut the leather using your rotary cutter to make a strap to hang the mirror up. When you are satisfied with the size of it, you can glue both ends to the edges of the mirror. Then, put decorative nails on both ends.
- Lastly, put hot glue on the side of the foam circle that doesn’t have the wood veneer and place the mirror down.